If you or a loved one have recently been diagnosed with cancer, we know it comes with a lot more questions than answers. Our care specialists are here to guide you through the next steps, support resources, financial resources, and anything else you may need.
Treating Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is a common term for a cancerous (malignant) tumor that starts in the cells that line a small walnut-shaped gland in men that produces the seminal fluid that nourishes and transports sperm. Treatment options for Prostate cancer depend on many factors, including the type and stage of the disease, but you can expect a combination of these types of treatments:
Local treatments refer to treatment that treats the tumor without affecting the rest of the body. Common local treatments of prostate cancer are surgery to remove the tumor and radiation therapy. Depending on the type of prostate cancer and how advanced it is, you might need other types of treatment as well, either before or after surgery, or sometimes both.
Systemic reach cancer cells almost anywhere in the body. They can be given by mouth or put directly into the bloodstream. Depending on the type of prostate cancer, different types of treatment might be used, including:
- Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer
- Chemotherapy for Prostate Cancer
- Hormone Therapy for Prostate Cancer
- Immunotherapy for Prostate Cancer
- Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer
How quickly do I need to make a decision about prostate cancer treatment?
Treatment for prostate cancer should start soon after diagnosis. But, it’s important to take the time to review and understand your treatment options. Everyone’s circumstances and cancer diagnosis are unique, and our team will work with you to go over all your options and create the best treatment plan.
The Tri-Cities Cancer Center Approach
A cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming, which is why we have created a center of excellence that creates collaboration between physician specialists that provide world-class treatment in the Tri-Cities and surrounding areas, and support beyond your doctor’s appointments.
In addition to radiation oncology treatment, the Center offers a multitude of patient care services including:
- A team of up to 30 physician specialists reviewing their case and making recommendations for care.
- Patient Navigation services including nurse-managed care coordination
- Educational information on cancer and care options
- Support groups for patients and families. (Spanish groups now available)
- Patient Fitness Programs, including WellFit™
- On-site Chaplaincy Services
- Nutritional Consultations
Our team of passionate health professionals offer free cancer screenings for your peace of mind.