At the Cancer Center we recognize that learning you have cancer can be overwhelming. Our dedicated team of professionals works with patients and their loved ones from the time of diagnosis through completing their final treatment. In addition, we collaborate with area hospitals, physicians, and other cancer care providers to ensure our patients have access to the most effective treatment options available, right here in our community.
Radiation therapy is the treatment of disease using penetrating beams of high-energy waves or streams of particles called radiation. Radiation therapy is one of the most common treatments for cancer and is used in more than half of all cancer cases.
Just as each patient is an individual, each patient’s cancer treatment needs are different. At the Cancer Center, we offer state-of-the-art radiation oncology treatment with equipment designed to deliver treatment quickly and effectively while reducing side effects.
If you, or someone you know, is in need of radiation oncology treatment you may contact either your doctor’s office for a referral or our Patient Navigation staff at (509) 737-3432. They would be happy to help you secure a referral for service at the Tri-Cities Cancer Center.
Managing life after a cancer diagnosis can be challenging. We know you worry about appointments, care options, family, work and just getting through the day. Our dedicated cancer care team is here to offer real help to you and your family. From radiation oncology to support services, we’ll take care of you.
In addition to radiation oncology treatment, the Center offers a multitude of patient care services including:
- Patient Navigation services including nurse managed care coordination
- Educational information on cancer and care options
- Support groups for patients and families. (Spanish groups now available)
- Patient Fitness Programs, including WellFit™
- On-site Chaplaincy Services
- Nutritional Consultations
- No cost hats, wigs, scarves, mastectomy supplies, and breast prostheses
We are continuously adding new services for our patients. If you have a service or specific need you would like to see added, please feel welcome to contact our Resource Center at (509) 737-3432.
When a patient chooses radiation therapy at the Tri-Cities Cancer Center, care begins with a personalized treatment plan created by our on-site radiation oncology physicians. Once the plan is established, radiation therapy is administered each day by the Center’s radiation technologists. Throughout your treatment, care is a collaborative effort between Center staff, the on-site oncology physicians, and the patient’s other healthcare providers.
Once you have been diagnosed with cancer and you have been referred to the Tri-Cities Cancer Center, you will progress along the following steps for your radiation treatment:
- Meet with your radiation oncologist
- Physical examination
- Learn how radiation can help you
- Lays the ground work to develop your radiation administration plan
- Usually one week to 10 days after simulation
- A staff member will call to tell you when you will begin
Weekly meeting with doctors
- You will see your radiation oncologist every Monday and as needed while you are receiving therapy
- On your last treatment day you will be given an appointment card for a three month follow up appointment
Follow up care
- Your radiation oncologist will set up a follow up schedule with you